Saturday, February 12, 2011

A "Reply" but No "Comment"

Once I wrote to Queen Elizabeth. It was at the time that Prince Charles became engaged to Lady Diana Spencer. I wrote to the Queen and said that I had a daughter named Diana and how delighted I was that Prince Charles was marrying a Diana, etc., etc. Or something to that effect.

I did receive an answer: The Queen has commanded me to write to you . . . etc., etc., and the letter, on Buckingham Palace stationery, was duly signed by a Lady-in-Waiting. The receipt of this letter at our house was An Event!

After yesterday's blog post, I wrote to the Queen of Popular Fiction, Jodi Picoult, letting her know that I had mentioned her on my blog.

Dear Ms. Picoult:

I just wanted to let you know that I have mentioned you on my blog, www.northern-night-writer.blogspot.com

I am in a creative writing course (and was heartened to hear that you had studied creative writing at Princeton) and my northern-night-writer blog is part of a social media assignment for the course. In my blog, I examine many aspects of creative writing. Often what I write is based on what I am reading, as in the case of your book.

Unfortunately, I live a long way from Vancouver and will not be able to take in your reading on March 13.

Thank you for telling stories.


This morning I received a reply, not from a Lady-in-Waiting, but from the Queen herself:

Thank you for the mention, and good luck with your writing.


Okay, everyone! Make up your minds right now: when you're a famous author and a fan writes to you, be as gracious as the Queen, and send a speedy reply!

No comments:

Post a Comment