Monday, April 18, 2011

More about Public Libraries

Thanks, patb, for your comment on your public libraries in Toronto. I loved the image of writing tools spread out on the large table, surrounded by inspiration and knowledge.


Two years ago, when I was in Charlotte, North Carolina, taking a course, I used the public library, in particular the Internet access in V2, the Virtual Village. It was down in the basement, but there were snazzy neon lights and a great purple and green decor. I got a visitor's card and could check my e-mail and send home the good report about what all I was doing.


One thing I really liked was actually outside the library. Along the walkway, posted on cement pillars were black and white square signs with quotes by famous people, some of them writers, about writing. (Charlotte is a city that is really into public art.)

Here's a sampling of the quotes:

Irving Stone: It's not macho to read a book? Nonsense. Reading is a stouthearted activity, disporting courage, keenness, stick-to-it-ness.

A.A. Milne: "I just like to know," said Pooh, humbly.

Groucho Marx: I find television very educational. Every time someone switiches it on, I go into another room and read a good book.

Emily Dickinson: A word is dead,
when it is said,
Some say.
I say
It just begins
To live that day.


Ernest Hemingway: We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Post us a comment telling about your favourite library or a favourite feature of your library, past or present.

Alternatively, post your favourite quote about writing.

Or do both!

No comments:

Post a Comment